Filing Your Taxes When You Have Missing or Incorrect Documents

Photo of man holding folder illustrates blog: "Filing Your Taxes When You Have Missing or Incorrect Documents"

In a perfect world, everyone would have the right documents on hand when filing their taxes. However, things can be different in real life. In today’s post, we tell you how to file your taxes when you have missing or incorrect documents.

Missing or Incorrect Forms W-2 or 1099

Taxpayers who haven’t received a W-2 or Form 1099, or if they are incorrect, should contact their employer or payer and request the missing document.

If for any reason you can’t get the right documents, don’t panic. You can estimate your wages or payments and then report them on Form 4852, which be used as a substitute for Forms W-2 or 1099.

Now, in this scenario, you may receive the corrected Form W-2 or 1099 after filing your return. If this happens and you discover that the correct information differs from the amounts you used on your return, you must file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Getting Answers to Your Tax Questions

Whether it’s missing documents or errors on your return, when it comes to taxes, there’s a solution for every situation. What matters is seeking the assistance of a tax professional with a proven track record of success in navigating the U.S. tax system.

With the deadline to file and pay your federal taxes fast approaching, this is more important than ever. At JT Tax Services, we offer assistance with even the toughest tax situations, including:

  • Missing or incorrect forms
  • Amended returns
  • Filing and paying taxes from previous years
  • Installment agreements
  • Failure to file and failure to pay penalties
  • Appeals

At JT Tax services, our dedicated team of tax professionals stands ready to help you. Get in touch today to talk with an expert.

File Your Taxes With JT Tax Services

At JT Taxes, we have made it our mission to take the stress of tax filing off your hands so you can focus on what matters most to you.

We maximize your refund and help you stay compliant with all applicable rules and laws. We are located in Oxnard, California. Contact us today by email (, telephone (805-984-8890), or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to schedule a consultation or to learn more about our wide array of tax services.

We will be closed Saturday, Sunday and Monday (July 2nd - 4th)