The Simple Step That Will Help You Avoid Most Tax Scams
Scammers are always on the lookout for new victims. Luckily, when it comes to tax scams, there’s a simple step that will help you avoid most of them. Keep reading to learn more.
How to Avoid Most Tax Scams
As the old saying goes, knowledge is power. So it’s no coincidence that knowledge is the best way to prevent falling prey to a tax scam.
Knowing how the IRS interacts with taxpayers will help you notice more easily the odd behaviors that are the hallmark of scammers. Remember:
- The IRS doesn’t normally initiate contact with taxpayers by email. Don’t reply to emails from people claiming to represent the IRS. And remember oficial IRS email addresses end with “irs.gov”
- The IRS will never get in touch with you by text message or social media. If you receive this tye of message, don’t respond; someone is trying to scam you.
- Private debt collectos may contact taxpayers for the collection of certain tax liablities, but only after the taxpayer has received a written notice.
- IRS officers and agents may visit the home or place of business to discuss tax liabilities or delinquent tax returns. However, remember that payments will never be requested to a source other that the Treasury Department.
- If you are visited by an IRS representative, don’t forget to ask for credentials. IRS officers and agents can provide two types of credentials: a pocket commission and a Personal Identity Verification Credential.
Knowing this information will help you avoid most tax scams. In case you have further questions, or need assistance navigating any process related to tax collection or tax liabilities, don’t hesitate to contact a tax expert for more information.
Contact the Experts at JT Tax Services
Do you need help preparing your taxes? Did you receive a letter from the IRS? JT Tax Services is here to help! We give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you are limiting your liability while staying compliant with all regulations.
We are located in Oxnard, California. Contact us today by email (email@example.com), telephone (805-984-8890), or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to schedule a consultation or to learn more about our services.