The filing extension deadline for most 2020 federal tax returns is fast approaching, so don’t let it sneak up on you! Here’s what you need to know.
Tax Filing Extension Deadline in 2021
The tax filing extension deadline for most 2020 tax returns is October 15, 2021.
Originally, taxpayers were supposed to file their taxes by May 17. However, those who weren’t able to file on time could request an extension that gives them more time to file.
Rember: an extension to file is not an extension to pay. If you didn’t pay your taxes by May 17 2021, you may face penalties and interests. Talk with a tax expert you trust if you need help understanding your situation.
Some Useful Information
- If you are an extended filer, the most important concept you should keep in mind is the Mailbox Rule. According to this rule, your return must be postmarked and sent by October 15 in order to comply with the filing extension deadline.
- As with any tax return, you can make things a lot easier by gathering your Forms W-2 s and all the documents you need to support the tax credits and deductions you want to claim.
- While the filing extension deadline is just around the corner, you still have time to find a dependable tax professional to help you prepare your return. At JT Taxes we offer assistance in all matters related to taxes delivered with friendliness, efficiency, and professionalism.
- Remember that this deadline refers to federal taxes. Filing dates for state taxes vary depending on the state, so check with your local tax agency to find out which deadlines you must adhere to when it comes to local taxes.
- Finally, keep in mind that the tax filing extension deadline won’t be extended, so this is your last chance to file your taxes without facing interests and penalties.
Contact the Experts at JT Tax Services
Do you need help preparing your taxes? Did you receive a letter from the IRS? JT Tax Services is here to help! We give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you are limiting your liability while staying compliant with all regulations.
We are located in Oxnard, California. Contact us today by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), telephone (805-984-8890), or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to schedule a consultation or to learn more about our services.