Getting Married? Don’t Forget to Make These Tax Adjustments

Getting Married? Don’t Forget to Make These Tax Adjustments

A marriage is always a happy event, but it also entails obligations that you should keep in mind. If you are getting married soon, don’t forget to make these adjustments to your tax information.  

Name Change

If your name changes after getting married, it’s important to notify this change to the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Remember that the name on your tax return must match the name the SSA has on file. Otherwise, you might experience delays in getting your tax refunds.

To update your information, fill out and file Form SS-5, which can be found on the SSA official website.

Address Change

More often than not, getting married also means changing your address. If that’s your case, don’t forget to inform the IRS by filling out and filing Form 8822, Change of Address.

As an extra tip, don’t forget to notify the United States Postal Service (USPS) about your change of address. This way you’ll be sure to receive any notifications send by the IRS by traditional mail.


After getting married, couples must consider adjusting their withholding, that is, the amount of federal tax that your employer withholds from your paycheck.  

By the way, don’t forget that newly married couples must give their employers a new W-4 Form within 10 days!

Your employer uses Form W-4 to witthold the right amount of tax from your paycheck. That’s why it’s important to file a new Form W-4 every year, or every time that your personal situation changes.  

Filing Status

It’s worth keeping in mind that married people can choose to file their taxes jointly or separately.  

Usually, filing your taxes jointly is the more convenient option. However, it’s a Good idea to calculate your taxes both ways to figure out which one is more convenient.  

Finally, remember this useful tip: if a couple is married as of December 31, then they are married for the whole year for tax purposes.

Contact the Experts at JT Tax Services

Do you need help filing your 2020 tax return? Do you want to learn more about Economic Impact Payments? At JT Tax Services, we give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you are limiting your liability while staying compliant with all regulations.

We are located in Oxnard, California. Contact us today by email (, telephone (805-984-8890), or through our social media accounts on FacebookTwitter, and LinkedIn to schedule a consultation or to learn more about our services.

We will be closed Saturday, Sunday and Monday (July 2nd - 4th)