Filing an income tax return is mandatory if you make more than a certain amount for the year. But can you file your taxes without a social security number? Keep reading to discover the answer.
Can You File Your Taxes Without a Social Security Number?
A Social Security Number (SSN) is a nine-digit number assigned to all United States citizens and other residents for identification purposes, including tracking their income information.
Now, although the Social Security Number is one of the most common ways to identify an individual in the U.S., not every person living in the country is eligible for one.
In those cases, people who are not eligible for a Social Security Number can use an Individual Tax Identification Number or ITIN.
So, in short, the answer is yes, you can file your taxes without a Social Security Number by using an ITIN instead.
What Is an ITIN?
As we mentioned earlier, the term ITIN stands for Individual Tax Identification Number.
An ITIN is a tax processing number that the IRS issues to people who are required to file a tax return but don’t have a Social Security Number.
While you can have an ITIN regardless of your immigration status, you should keep in mind that an ITIN does NOT:
- Authorize work in the U.S.
- Provide eligibility for Social Security benefits
- Qualify a dependent for Earned Income Tax Credit Purposes
How To Know if You Need an ITIN
You need an Individual Tax Identification Number if the following applies to you:
- You don’t have a Social Security Number (SSN)
- You have a requirement to file a tax return
- You belong to one of the following categories:
- Nonresident alien who is required to file a U.S. tax return
- U.S. resident alien who is (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return
- Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
- Dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder
- Nonresident alien claiming a tax treaty benefit
- Nonresident alien student, professor or researcher filing a U.S. tax return or claiming an exception
Have Tax Questions? Contact the Experts at JT Tax Services
At JT Tax Services, we give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you are limiting your liability while staying compliant with all regulations.We are located in Oxnard, California. Contact us today by email (email@example.com), telephone (805-984-8890), or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to schedule a consultation or to learn more about our services.